[nsp] Cat6509/MSFC2 hybrid, hw switched multicast forwarding freezes

Martin Cooper mjc at cooper.org.uk
Thu Jul 3 19:08:36 EDT 2003

Matti Saarinen <mjs at cc.tut.fi> writes:

> We have a annoying problem with multicast on our Catalyst 6509. The
> box runs still hybrid software. The CatOS version used is 7.6(1) and
> the IOS on MSFC is 12.1(19)E1. I've done several software upgrades
> while trying to solve this issue without any real effect.
>
> The problem is that when the box decides to push the multicast traffic
> via PFC all the multicast forwarding stops. When I checked the state
> of the MLS by issuing the command show mls ip multicast group n.n.n.n
> I found out the fact the forwarding of the multicast stops at the
> moment when a new hardware switched flow for the host that has joined
> to the group is installed on PFC. When there's only one hrdware
> switched flow for the group the multicast forwarding works.
>
> Our Cisco support partner cannot reproduce this situation in their lab
> so I'm rather alone with my problem right now. I hope that someone on
> this list could give a hint or two about what should I do next.

<facetious>
MSFC#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
MSFC2(config)#no mls ip multicast
MSFC2(config)#^Z
MSFC2#
</facetious>

We've found similar MMLS brokenness with Sup2/MSFC2/PFC2 running
hybrid 6.3(10) / 12.1(13)E3 (we just switched it off to avoid it).

Regards,

Martin