[nsp] 3 Port Gige Sync Loss on GSR

Ash Garg ash at telstra.net
Thu Jul 10 11:48:17 EDT 2003

Has anyone see the following message from their GSRs?

%GRPGE-6-SYNC_LOSS: Interface GigabitEthernet0/1: Loss of Sync

-----------------
>From cisco.com

Error Message

%GRPGE-6-SYNC_LOSS
: Interface [chars]: [chars]
Explanation   A GBIC loss of synchronization error was detected or is gone
as specified in the message.

Recommended Action   Check the GBIC and cable connections. A local Rx cable
must be connected to the remote Tx cable and vice versa.

---------------------

We have a number of these beasties in the network all with 3 port gig's and
they seem to be sending the above message at reasonably regular intervals
(roughly 1 per week per gsr). The line card details are:

SLOT 0  (RP/LC 0 ): 3 Port Gigabit Ethernet
  MAIN: type 68,  800-6376-01 rev E0
        Deviation: 0
        HW config: 0x00    SW key: 00-00-00
  PCA:  73-4775-02 rev E0 ver 2
        Design Release 2.0  S/N xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  MBUS: Embedded Agent
        Test hist: 0x00    RMA#: 00-00-00    RMA hist: 0x00
  DIAG: Test count: 0x00000000    Test results: 0x00000000
  FRU:  Linecard/Module: 3GE-GBIC-SC=
        Route Memory: MEM-GRP/LC-256=
        Packet Memory: MEM-LC1-PKT-512=
  L3 Engine: 2 - Backbone OC48 (2.5 Gbps)
  MBUS Agent Software version 01.51 (RAM) (ROM version is 02.00)
  ROM Monitor version 10.09
  Fabric Downloader version used 08.01 (ROM version is 08.01)
  Primary clock is CSC 1  Board is analyzed
  Board State is Line Card Enabled (IOS  RUN )
  Insertion time: 00:03:32 (1w1d ago)
  DRAM size: 268435456 bytes
  FrFab SDRAM size: 268435456 bytes, SDRAM pagesize: 16384 bytes
  ToFab SDRAM size: 268435456 bytes, SDRAM pagesize: 16384 bytes
  0 crashes since restart

It does not cause a link up/down or even stop passing traffic and seems like
a cosmetic issue. We have a TAC case open since Nov 2002 with zero results.
Power measurements show that we are well within the optical budgets. The
fibre ends have been cleaned, the gbics replaced, the ports changed and the
card has been relaced and moved to different slots, All with no luck. (ohh
and the tx/rx swap as per cisco.com has been tried as well)

Also IOS upgrades have been done (due to separate issues) and these messages
refuse to go away. I can't seem to find any field notices that may be the
cause. Any one with ideas?

Thanks,
Ash