[nsp] High delay of modem connection over VoIP

Bender, Andrew abender at taqua.com
Thu Jul 10 00:03:22 EDT 2003

Luis-

You are introducting delay through the packetization time (sampling interval) of the 5850, and the playout buffer at the receive side of the packet network in the 2600.

In default configurations, this is likely to be 20ms in + 40ms (or more) out... if you are measuring RTT with ping, I'd expect to see at least 120ms added.

The bad news is that you will never be able to eliminate the additional latency that is introduced.

The good news is that this scales with the sample size, so you'll want to reduce the packet size on that link, with something like:

codec g711alaw bytes 80

If 5850 / 2600 would do 5ms packets, that would be ideal, but I don't think you have that option. This will at least get you to 10ms... and *should* cut the latency in half. Be aware that it will increase the required bandwidth for these calls accordingly also.

Also in contemprary IOS you can now (finally!) adjust the jitter buffer to minimize its size, with something like:

playout-delay nominal 20
playout-delay minimal low

Be more careful with this however, because it may affect the quality of voice calls, depending on the quality of transit network you are using. As always, RTFM is your firend...

Regards,
Andrew Bender
taqua.com