[nsp] 7200 NPE-400 and performance/ problems

Streiner, Justin streiner at stargate.net
Thu Jul 10 10:59:09 EDT 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Gert Doering wrote:

> We have a NPE-400, and it's working nicely.  Had some issues with some
> specific vendor DRAM SODIMMs (Cisco certified! but didn't work nonetheless)
> but besides this it's fast and shiny.
>
> For a new box, I'd go with a NPE-G1, though.  More bandwidth,
> (Gig-)Ethernet-Ports not eating backplane bandwidth, much faster CPU,
> and more maximum memory.

I'll agree on the NPE-G1.  I upgraded a router to one a few weeks ago
and it's been rock-solid.  This router was pretty well loaded down (2
pretty busy DS3s, 9 T1s, 2 busy Fast Ethernets and a gig-e, plus several
full BGP views and OSPF.  CPU utilization dropped from 95%+ at peak times
with an NPE-300 to about 40% at peak times.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it only has one flash slot,
which isn't compatible with the older flash devices.  Makes it a real pain
to install if you don't already have a G1-equipped router that you can use
to pre-load the code you need onto the flash.

jms