[nsp] cant get syslog to work

Niels Bakker niels=cisco-nsp at bakker.net
Sat Jul 12 03:18:53 EDT 2003

* gert at greenie.muc.de (Gert Doering) [Sat 12 Jul 2003, 02:07 CEST]:
> Put "local0.debug" in there.  Many syslogds will take the "*" only on
> the left side (facility) not on the right side (level).  "debug"
> catches "debug or higher" == "all".

FreeBSD's syslogd does.  As far as I could tell from James's original
message he did everything right - the router is logging remotely because
messages end up in /var/log/messages, FreeBSD's syslogd isn't that picky
about tabs anymore (if you have a halfway recent version of FreeBSD),
asterisks work as expected (unlike Solaris syslogd).

Three tips:

- Run a network sniffer and/or start syslogd in debug mode, to see
  whether local0 is really used, to exclude IOS bugs;
- Check syslogd.conf for lines starting with `!' or `#!' just above the
  /var/log/core.log line that would make syslogd match only on certain
  processes;
- Check for malformed lines above the /var/log/core.log line that could
  make syslogd stop parsing its configuration file.

Otherwise I wouldn't know either.  :)  Good luck, please post here if
you manage to find a resolution; you've definitely piqued my curiosity.

	-- Niels.