[nsp] cant get syslog to work

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Sat Jul 12 19:28:51 EDT 2003

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Niels Bakker wrote:

> FreeBSD's syslogd does.  As far as I could tell from James's original
> message he did everything right - the router is logging remotely because
> messages end up in /var/log/messages, FreeBSD's syslogd isn't that picky
> about tabs anymore (if you have a halfway recent version of FreeBSD),
> asterisks work as expected (unlike Solaris syslogd).

Note also that in recent FreeBSD releases, remote logging is disabled by
default.  That doesn't seem to be the problem here.

The line I was speaking of that caused any entries below it to be ignored
(without warning) was this:

#
!startslip
*.*                                             /var/log/slip.log
!ppp
*.*                                             /var/log/ppp.log
#

Those are in the default syslog.conf.  I like to put my local entries
below all the default stuff, so I just commented those out.  That's a
no-no.  Remove them fully if you don't want them.

Another tip that helped me solve many a syslogd problem was running
syslogd in debug mode, ie: "syslogd -d".  It will spit everything it's
doing to STDOUT, revealing all your mistakes. :)

Charles