[nsp] ftp.cisco.com - DNS issues corrected.

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Tue Jul 15 12:02:02 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 04:43:31PM -0700, Roland Dobbins wrote:

Hi Roland,

> Please feel free to contact me directly if problems persist, or with
> other concerns regarding network access to public Cisco resources.

Both authorative nameservers for cisco.com (ns1.cisco.com/ns2.cisco.com)
still return SERVFAIL instead of NOERROR with an empty answer section
when querying for the AAAA record of ftp.cisco.com:

bschmidt at schlepper bschmidt $ dig -t AAAA ftp.cisco.com @ns2.cisco.com
[...]
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 56192
[...]

while this works fine with normal A records.

bschmidt at schlepper bschmidt $ dig -t A ftp.cisco.com @ns2.cisco.com
[...]
[...]

So all IPv6 enabled clients fail miserably.

Bernhard