[nsp] catalyst 6509 high percentage procesor usage

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.ug
Tue Jul 15 18:48:25 EDT 2003

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:
> 	Hi all,
>
> 	after removal of ATM card (and reinsertion of FlexWAN module), our
> catalyst 6509 suffers from high % processor usage.
>
> WS-C6509-NEB Software, Version NmpSW: 6.3(7)
> Copyright (c) 1995-2002 by Cisco Systems
> NMP S/W compiled on May 16 2002, 17:16:36
>
> 	'show proc cpu' showw this:
>
> 28  268719062   194854567  609000    93.28%  73.30%  88.90% 0   Fib
>
> 	It could just be a coincidence with that card removal, but since the
> switch has 1 year uptime, I doesn't seem to me so. MSFC-2 running
> above it is OK. Does anybody already met this kind of behaviour? Is
> there a way how to get rid of it except of reload?
>
> 	thank you, Jan.

If you do a "sh proc cpu", there must be a list of processes and what each
of them is doing. Perhaps what you would want to do is have a look at each
of these processes, and see which of them is using too many CPU cycles. You
can then eye-ball that individual process as it runs on the router, and make
appropriate modifications to its configuration.

Regards,

Mark Tinka - CCNA
Network Engineer, Africa Online Uganda