[nsp] PPPoE over an IEEE 802.1Q VLAN

Dennis Peng dpeng at cisco.com
Tue Jul 15 12:50:16 EDT 2003

Broadband aggregation and VPDN features aren't supported in 12.2S and
have been removed mainly because it isn't tested and the code base is
so old (relatively speaking since that part of the code is in such
high flux) you'd be re-treading old bugs. Can you go with 12.3? 12.2
mainline would also work but probably would be less desirable for
similar reasoning as 12.2S but less so. For the time being, it is also
much easier to pick up bug fixes on 12.2 or 12.3 as compared to 12.2S.

Dennis

jlewis at lewis.org [jlewis at lewis.org] wrote:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1834/products_feature_guide09186a0080080386.html
>
> I found out the hard way that this feature, present in late 12.1T, is not
> in 12.2S.  Also, when going back to 12.1(5)T12, putting pppoe enable back
> into the appropriate subinterface crashes the router with
>
> System returned to ROM by bus error at PC 0x0, address 0x0
>
> I did this twice in a row before shutting the fastE interface before
> entering pppoe enable.  That made the router able to accept the command
> without crashing.
>
> Anyway...PPPoE over an IEEE 802.1Q VLAN doesn't seem to be a searchable
> feature in go/fn.  So, are there plans to support this (or even just PPPoE
> on regular fastE interfaces...it actually isn't supported at all in 12.2S)
> in 12.2S at some point, or are we stuck with 12.1T on these routers?

      ||        ||                                 Dennis Peng
      ||        ||        Cisco Systems, Inc.      Escalation Engineer
 ..:||||||:..:||||||:..   San Jose, CA 95134       Fax:   (408) 232-2343
   Cisco Systems Inc.                              dpeng at cisco.com