[nsp] "sh proc cpu" granularity

joshua sahala joshua.ej.smith at usa.net
Thu Jul 17 21:35:26 EDT 2003

On Thursday 17 July 2003 17:27, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> After having gone access-list crazy last night, I see that one of
> the routers has started chewing more cpu.  This is expected, and I
> actually like the idea of the "infrastructure filtering", so I'd
> like to keep this after I upgrade.

i am about to start writing mine ;)  i have a couple of hours before
my providers start rebooting, so i might as well entertain myself...

> This started me wondering though, how do I see how some of the
> features that don't have process entries (like ACLs) are affecting
> CPU and/or memory usage?  It seems that a whole mess of stuff gets
> lumped into "IP Input"...
>
> Also, I once tried compiled access lists on this particular router
> and saw cpu dip down quite a bit.  Sadly, it also started randomly
> filtering things it shouldn't.  In general, is this a stable
> feature?  I'm stuck in the 12.2T train right now.

i have a 7513 running 12.2(15)T and it doesn't like certain statements
in the acls - it really didn't like using named acls, so i am using
numbered (and aclmaker from cosi.sourceforge.net to edit the
monsters).  there is a bug id for the named acl thing (which i cannot
find right now, sorry - if you do a 'sho ip acce' from the vip, you
don't see the named lists at all).  my numbered lists appear to work
fine so long as i don't filter icmp fragments :(

ymmv, but if it is a 7500, get on the vip and look at the acl, it
might show you what entries are actually working - comparing the 'hit
counts' from the vip session to the 'hit counts' in the exec and try
removing the statements that don't seem to count right at the exec.
like i said, ymmv, but it worked for me...

/joshua