[nsp] Processor memory parity error

Blaz Zupan blaz at inlimbo.org
Sat Jul 19 15:00:18 EDT 2003

Has anybody have trouble with their 7206VXR crashing with a processor memory
parity error?

We've been running 12.2(14)S until recently (it's now on 12.2(14)S2 for
obvious reasons) on a 7206VXR NPE-400 and it crashed twice with a processory
memory parity error. While the documentation claims that when it crashes only
once it's probably caused by cosmic radiation, when it crashed the second time
I started to blame it on a hardware problem (as suggested by the Cisco docs).
But today, another 7206VXR with a NPE-225 exhibited the same problem. It was
also running 12.2(14)S and is now on 12.2(14)S2. Could it be a software bug
which just pretends to be a CPU memory parity error? Anyone else seen this
happening? I highly doubt it that two machines with different NPE's can start
exhibiting the same hardware problem just a couple of weeks after upgrading
them to 12.2(14)S.

Here's the Cisco documentation I'm referring to:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_tech_note09186a0080094793.shtml