[nsp] 7206VXR Bandwidth Points Experiences

Streiner, Justin streiner at stargate.net
Mon Jul 21 14:35:40 EDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Baker, Todd A wrote:

> Has anyone had any bad experiences when exceeding the 600 bandwidth points
> on a 7206VXR? I am running an NPE 400 I/O card (2 port 100-TX) with a DS-3
> card in slot 1, an OC-3 card in slot 2, and 2 port 100-FX card in slot 4.
> That gives me a total of 580 points on the left side (I/O card and slots
> 1,3,5) and 700 points on the right side (slots 2,4,6).
> I basically want to know if I'm going to run into trouble? I talked to Cisco
> TAC about it and they indicated that it can be a problem depending on your
> all.

This was discussed at length on this list not too long ago.  You'll see
lots of posts on the subject in the list archives.

The general concensus is that the router will continue to function but it
will complain, e.g. issue warnings that the bandwidth point limit on one
of the busses has been exceeded.

The major caveats are that the router may not function properly if it's
heavily loaded / moving lots of traffic and Cisco may not provide full
support if you get into a situation where the router starts doing weird
things because you've exceeded the point limits.  As always, YMMV.

> Additional questions:
> If I don't use the 2 100-TX ports on the I/O module does it still count as
> 400 points?

Yes, the points are determined by the interface card, regardless of how
many ports are actually in use.

> If I use only 1 of the 100-FX ports does it count as only 200 points instead
> of 400?

It should still count as 400 points.  Shutting down unused interfaces
doesn't save you anything for this.

jms