[nsp] 7206VXR Bandwidth Points Experiences

Stefan Schultheis (home) stefan at schultheis.priv.at
Sun Jul 20 16:58:23 EDT 2003

Hi Todd,

Cisco uses AFAIK the bandwidth points as an idea to measure how big the
load on a router *might be* when the interfaces are heavily loaded.

It's possible to exceed the bandwidth point specifications, your router
will probably handle the load of interfaces if you exceed the bw points
specs, but it means that

(1) Cisco does not certify that the box is working without troubles

and

(2) you will probably not get support from Cisco TAC. You'll be asked to
reduce the number of interfaces and then you'll get the support for the
problem itself (if it still exists).

The machine will probably work and it does not matter if you are using the
onboard-FastEthernet-Ifs or not - you're over the specs, which is more an
administrative or warranty issue than a technical one!

Regards,
Stefan