[nsp] Re: CEF scanner eating all CPU

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Jul 22 10:29:13 EDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 jlewis at lewis.org wrote:

> I upgraded several 3640 DSL agg routers last night from
> c3640-js-mz.122-12.bin to c3640-js-mz.122-17a.bin.  Configs are all fairly
> similar...T1 IMA cards taking ATM T1's from the ILEC for mostly PPPoA DSL
> customers, some of the routers have some bridged DSL customers as well.
> All are MPLS VPN PE routers and use BGP to exchange vrf routes.
>
> One particular router has CEF scanner eating all available CPU time.
> After the upgrade, CPU utilization shot up from about 15% to 99%, stayed
> there for about 8 hours, dropped to normal levels (15-20%) for 4 hours,
> then shot back up to 99%.

We just had another 3640 DSL agg router do this.  This one had run
normally for about 24h after the upgrade (from 12.2(16) to 12.2(17a)),
then the CPU load shot up to 99% and the router became very unresponsive.
A coworker got to it and dealt with it (reload) without looking at show
proc, so I don't know for sure that it was CEF scanner again.  So, now out
of about a dozen units, we've had two freak out CPU load-wise shortly
after this upgrade.

I'm beginning to consider other versions.  It looks like I could move to
12.3.1 or maybe 12.3.1a and not lose any features I need.

Anyone else using 12.3 on 3640's with T1-IMA for DSL?  Is it generally
working for you?