[nsp] Re: CEF scanner eating all CPU

Siva Valliappan svalliap at cisco.com
Tue Jul 22 13:25:11 EDT 2003

Hi Jon,

   the CEF Scanner process usually runs when it needs to compute a
new L2 adjacency because of a MAC rewrite or something along those
lines.  so things to look at is if you have something that is
constantly changing your L2 address for a link/address/etc.  e.g.
do you have a default route?  is it pointed at an ip address that
is constantly changing MAC addresses, etc.

you might want to configure

conf t
 ip cef table event-log
end

and then issue a

"show ip cef event"
"show ip cef event detail"

it might possibly be CSCdz59236.  but hard to tell without some
indepth troubleshooting.  you may want to consider opening a TAC
case so that a TAC engineer can work with you in running CPU profiling
to see what the CEF Scanner process is actually doing.  this will
help us figure out if this is a known issue or something new.

cheers
.siva