[nsp] Re: 2621 keeps freezing

Z z at wotb.org
Thu Jul 24 11:57:04 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:46:41AM -0700, Steve Rude wrote:
> Do you have CEF turned on?  CEF will drop CPU load significantly.
>
> In your acl's do you have the log statement?  Every time you have a
> packet hit the log statement, it will cause CPU cycles.
>
> Can you log into the router console when it freezes?
>
> I have several 2621's with 4 T1's running about 3-4 Mbps peak in a
> Multilink bundle, and relatively small acls and I've never had a problem
> with freezing.  CPU runs about 40-60 percent at peak times.
>
> I run 12.2(8)T10, you might want to give that a shot.

  Yep, CEF is turned on.  I don't have any logging ACLs, most of the
stuff I need to see can be looked at through just matches ( sh ip
access-list ).

  The next step is, *IF* it freezes to see if the console is still
responsive and if any logs are dumped to it.

  Also, the IPv4 protocol bug ACL was on the wrong interface until
just about an hour ago ( needed to be on the point-to-point
sub-interface instead of the parent interface, wasn't seeing any of
the permit ip any any matches.. so hopefully this was the cause of
my troubles.. but somehow I doubt it ).

Thanks for your input,

.z