[nsp] GEIP+ performance?

Roldan, Brad BRoldan at Covad.COM
Fri Jul 25 09:58:05 EDT 2003

Steve,

   We've found that performance of the GEIP+ cards are hinged directly
to the types of VIP cards installed in the chassis. Somewhat
counter-intuitively, we've found that we can achieve much higher
performance if traffic to/from a GEIP+ card is distributed across
multiple VIP4-50 cards, instead of GEIP+ to GEIP+.

   The features we use, which may contribute to the performance numbers
are .1q encapsulation and Fast Etherchannel on the VIP4-50s.

   With the above setup, you should be able to achieve close to 300 Mbps
of bi-directional traffic (600 Mbps aggregate), with 0% packet loss
using mixed packet sizes (IMIX). If you can tolerate a little packet
loss, you can go up to 330 Mbps of bi-directional traffic. Anything
above that point, and you'll see your 'ignore counters' increment like
crazy.

   I don't have our original test results handy, but I seem to recall
that the best performance we could get at 0% packet loss with IMIX was
in the neighborhood of 250Mbps bi-directional for GEIP+ to GEIP+
traffic.

   For what it's worth, we use the 128MB upgrade option on the GEIP+
cards. You can also get better results if you assume a 2:1 traffic ratio
(2 bytes into GEIP+ for every 1 byte out), instead of a 1:1 ratio.

Regards,

Brad
--
Covad Communications