[nsp] Continuos Ping from Interface to Interface

Eric Osborne eosborne at cisco.com
Wed Jul 30 16:40:43 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:41:01AM -0700, rpcbind at speakeasy.net wrote:

> NTP peering between point-to-point interfaces is always an easy way of
> watching overall latency (sh ntp assoc). If you want to get more involved,
> search cisco's site for 'SAA', though I've never found it very useful without
> spending some time scripting data collection and such (though once this is
> done, its great).

I don't use SAA for fancy nms measurements and stuff, but I've used it
a few times for constant pings.  The config is something like

rtr 1
 type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 1.2.3.4
 timeout 500
 frequency 1
rtr schedule 1 start-time now

which sends pings once per second, 500ms timeout.
You can then do 'sh rtr dist' to see what the numbers are - min, max,
sum, sum of squares.  It's very obviously built around the MIB, but
the MIB defines pretty well what all the terms are.  I've used it in
the past where I needed to have constant traffic of some sort on a
PVC.

eric