[nsp] intermitten ping lags on 7500/rsp4/256M

'Dmitri Kalintsev' dek at hades.uz
Fri Jun 13 13:00:46 EDT 2003

Ken,

You should not confuse the latency TO THE ROUTER with the latency THROUGH
THE ROUTER. If you have former, it's generally considered "normal". If you
have later, you're likely to be in trouble and must start looking for the
source of it.

Traceroute will show you the latency TO the router, not THROUGH it when
displaying the hop of the router itself. (For the next hop after the router,
it will display latency THROUGH the router, though). Confused enough yet?

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 09:51:06PM -0400, lexus wrote:
> Dmiitri,
>
> Well, if you have gamer customers, you will feel my pain =)
>
> Gamers generally don't like high ping times playing whatever game that
> is out there.  When these sporadic 600msec delays come in, the customers
> freak out.
>
> I know the BGP scanner plays a big role in this madness, I heard success
> stories on 12.0.21 S6, I am going to reload with this image
> tonight...and see what happens.
>
> The other option I was looking at if I can pass all these thru the
> vip2;s...instead of going to the rsp4.

---end quoted text---

SY,
--