[nsp] HSRP

k. scott bethke scott at replicenter.com
Thu Jun 19 18:09:44 EDT 2003

Great thread guys..  Also note that multigroup HSRP is a way to load balance
traffic, I always hated the fact that one router (or even just one router
interface) was standby why not use it?  With mutigroup you can setup two
VIP's essentually one homed on each interface and you can either point half
your servers to one or half your servers to the other and balance traffic
that way, or you can actually put two default routes on each server and it
will do the right thing and balance traffic out to both routers.

Has anyone noticed really strange issues with HSRP on dot1q based Vlan
interfaces using extreme networks gear as the switches?  I used to run a
network with really old 7500's and 7200's and we just had issues all the
time with the vlans not communicating randomly.  It would work fine and just
stop and then oneday just start working again.  Very strange.  A major issue
with HSRP in this capacity is that both interfaces claim the other has died
and BOTH take ownership of the VIP.  I can imagine that in this case a
unicast solution MAY work better than multicast.

-Scotty