[nsp] HSRP

Siva Valliappan svalliap at cisco.com
Thu Jun 19 15:24:58 EDT 2003

one way to simplify load balancing is via GLBP the successor to HSRP.
if you are not aware of GLBP, and want a less configuration intensive
load balancing scheme, some investigation into GLBP may be worth your time.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a00801541c8.html

GLBP makes use of a single virtual IP, and multiple virtual MAC addresses,
with an election scheme between the GLBP participant routers to split
the load of the end devices.  since each participant has a different VMAC,
it may go some way to avoiding the problem you saw.

cheers
.siva