[nsp] 12.0S images for 2600

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Jun 19 21:51:24 EDT 2003

So, does anyone remember those lovely K4P 12.0S images for 2500/2600 and
the like? You know, the ones that run without needing to spend more in
flash/dram upgrades than you can buy the 2600 for on the used market? :)

They're still around in the usual places, and they seem to still boot:

Router#sh ver
IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-K4P-M), Version 12.0(25)S, EARLY DEPLOYMENT
RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

But they also seem to have a nasty habit of making the FastEthernet
interfaces on a 2621 disappear from software. I know this used to work
just fine with older images, but ftp.cisco.com only seems to carry 24 and
25 for 2600 these days. Is this a known problem, does anyone have copies
of the old classics that still work, or is there another image that is
better suited for SSH and terminal server use with only 32mb-48mb dram and
8mb flash? If so, I must be missing it. :)