[nsp] Total PVC's per router ..

Ejay Hire ejay.hire at isdn.net
Fri Mar 7 13:13:40 EST 2003

Our Redback sms100 handles over 200 1.5down, 256k up pvc's without a hiccup.  This includes doing PPoa AAA to radius, filtering and anti-spoofing, and per VC bandwidth monitoring.  When they lived on a 7206vxr, we had to shuffle some other things off to other boxes because of CPU load.

The only thing I don't like about it so far is that it won't boot off of a non-redback Flash card.  Read/Write are okay, just won't boot.  I am strongly opposed to companies that deliberately make hardware incomatible with standardized third party components.  (Here's the logic behind that:   It's 4:00 a.m. and a flashcard fails.  I have to boot off of TFTP instead of using one of the half-dozen spare flash cards I have.  If I want a hot spare, I have to buy a $300 dollar flash card that is functionally idenetical to the $30 cards I already have.)

-Ejay