[nsp] PPPoE xDSL Termination Benefits? (was Total PVC's per router ..)

Bruce Robertson bruce at greatbasin.net
Wed Mar 12 09:49:54 EST 2003

Valid points, but:

> They have hundreds of subinterfaces, with hundreds of /30's and hundreds of
> static routes

Point taken on the subinterfaces, but there are no /30s at all, and the
static routes are dynamically created when the router sees the DHCP packet
go by.  Here's a typical subinterface on our router:

interface ATM2/0.125 point-to-point
 ip unnumbered Loopback3
 ip helper-address 207.228.37.195
 ip helper-address 207.228.35.42
 atm route-bridged ip
 pvc <customer-id> 12/106
  random-detect

> If a customer relocates, they delete the old subinterface and recreate it on
> the new pvc (At least 10 commands)

That's what expect scripts are for! :-)

It comes down to a customer service issue for us.  With using RBE and
subinterfaces, the connection just works.   No software to set up on the
customer's end, nothing they have to do to get connected.  It's truly an
always-up connection.  When you use PPPoA/E, there's more hassle for the
customer, and more things on their end that can break.

--
Bruce Robertson, President/CEO				     +1-775-348-7299
Great Basin Internet Services, Inc.			fax: +1-775-348-9412