[nsp] PPPoE xDSL Termination Benefits? (was Total PVC's per router ..)

Ejay Hire ejay.hire at isdn.net
Wed Mar 12 08:48:09 EST 2003

For Hundreds of PVC's, PPoE/A allows much better scalability and flexibility.

Consider these options:

ISP1 doesn't use PPoa/e.  They have hundreds of subinterfaces, with hundreds of /30's and hundreds of static routes.  A show-running config takes about 5 minutes.  If a customer relocates, they delete the old subinterface and recreate it on the new pvc (At least 10 commands).  If a customer cancels they have to manually remove the PVC (and the static routes, and the access-lists... a minimum of 6 commands).

ISP2 uses PPoa/e.  They can support all of the features of ISP 1, and only have to create a virtual Template interface and maintain a Radius server.  If ISP2 is already using radius for dial access, then the transition is even easier.  If a customer relocates, they turn up a pVC to the new sites, a nd no configuration changes are necessary.  If a customer cancels, they delete the radius profile (A single database record).

The best thing about radius is the ease of automation.  For a script to autoconfigure a router is fairly complex, and requires at least a partial rewrtie for every type of equipment.  For a script to write a line to a database is easy.