[nsp] Server Load Balancing Options

Christopher McCrory chrismcc at pricegrabber.com
Wed Mar 26 13:23:25 EST 2003

Hello...

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 10:40, Jason Greenberg wrote:
> Hello, would someone please validate this list, and or recommend less
> alternatives?  I would appreciate it a lot!
>
> Our requirements:
> 	1) Server Load Balancing (IP address translation) LAYER 3 ONLY
> 	2) Server availability monitoring (ping?)
> 	3) Redundant Switch Capability (SLB HSRP?)
> 	4) medium load - DNS, LDAP, mail, radius, etc..
>
> As far as I can tell, my options are
>
> 1) 6500 SLB CSM - 40-100 grand ?? what modules are needed here?
> 2) 6500 cat/native OS SLB ??? what modules are needed here?
> 3) 4840G - 30 grand
> 4) 7200 Router IOS SLB <- 10 grand
> 5) IOS NAT on a 3640?? <- no high availability here, but cheap...

I have been using the LocalDirector for a couple of years with great
results.  Get two for failover if you want.

Make sure you understand the concept behind what it is doing ( for
whatever you chose).  The localdirector acts a bridge between two vlans
on your switch.  so you have vlanALL and vlanSERVERS . if the
localdirector is not there, no traffic can get to $SERVERS at all. hence
buying two, "just in case".

--
Christopher McCrory

chrismcc at pricegrabber.com