[nsp] Bandwidth Cap Question

Sergio Ramos sramos at gibnet.net
Fri Mar 28 12:45:17 EST 2003

Hi!

We do interVLAN routing and ISL trunking using a layer2 Catalyst 2924XL and
a dual fastethernet Cisco 2651 router providing rated ethernet connectivity
to 20 customers.

Both incoming and outgoing traffic is restricted on the router using Generic
Traffic Shaping. Traffic from the Internet to each customer is shaped per
vlan subinterface, traffic from the customers to the Internet is shaped in
the interface connecting to our backbone based on the customer IP block.

This "cheap" solution is working fine for us, router CPU average is 2%.
Customers are restricted to 1Mbps, 512kbps, 256kbps, etc ...

Of course it depends on the bandwidth and number of vlans required.

Does anybody use the Catalyst 2948G-L3 successfully in this scenario?

Best regards,

Sergio Ramos
GibNet Ltd