[nsp] adding another class C network switched by 3524XL

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon Mar 31 19:11:50 EST 2003

> > The confusion may also be stemming from this swtich being only L2 and the 3550
> > we have slated to replace it being capable of L3 (or so the documentation
> > reads).  Would things be different with the 3550 (L3) being able to
> > intelligently route the IP traffic between the two networks without involving
> > the SP router or requiring the installation of an additional router into the
> > rack?
>
> I have had bad experience with the G-L3 Cat switches, I'd advise you get a
> separate router such as a 2610 or 3620 to work with your current L2 switch
> rather than the all in one box.

Not sure I agree. The 3550 is a *very* different animal from 2948G-L3 and
similar boxes. We have not had any problems with 3550 used for L3 so far.
In fact we are on our way to replacing our one remaining 2948GL3 with a
3550.

> In fact you might say that if you think a switch+router is confusing putting
> them both in the same box and then trying to figure out whether your command
> refers to a L2 or a L3 item can only be more confusing!! :)

Again, I disagree. On a 3550 (or for that matter a 6500 or 7600), it's
quite clear whether a command refers to the L2 or the L3 part of the box.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no