[nsp] adding another class C network switched by 3524XL

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 18:19:24 EST 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

> > > The confusion may also be stemming from this swtich being only L2 and the 3550
> > > we have slated to replace it being capable of L3 (or so the documentation
> > > reads).  Would things be different with the 3550 (L3) being able to
> > > intelligently route the IP traffic between the two networks without involving
> > > the SP router or requiring the installation of an additional router into the
> > > rack?
> >
> > I have had bad experience with the G-L3 Cat switches, I'd advise you get a
> > separate router such as a 2610 or 3620 to work with your current L2 switch
> > rather than the all in one box.
>
> Not sure I agree. The 3550 is a *very* different animal from 2948G-L3 and
> similar boxes. We have not had any problems with 3550 used for L3 so far.
> In fact we are on our way to replacing our one remaining 2948GL3 with a
> 3550.

I am thinking 2948G-L3, I'll try to give them a second chance if I get access to
try out a 3550 then//

> > In fact you might say that if you think a switch+router is confusing putting
> > them both in the same box and then trying to figure out whether your command
> > refers to a L2 or a L3 item can only be more confusing!! :)
>
> Again, I disagree. On a 3550 (or for that matter a 6500 or 7600), it's
> quite clear whether a command refers to the L2 or the L3 part of the box.

Yes, but I mean if you have difficulty separating L2 and L3 on a switch and
separate router its only going to blur the distinction in your head. Bear in
mind you know what is L2 and what is L3 in terms of features, functions and
commands to begin with.

Steve