[nsp] Terminating ADSLs via ATM PVCs on Cat5000 vs on 7200

Matti Saarinen mjs at cc.tut.fi
Tue May 6 10:13:44 EDT 2003

"David Sinn" writes:

>> Can I build a similar setup with 7200? I mean the 7200 would just
>> collect the PVCs transporting the ADSL connections and bridge them
>> to ethernet VLANs. The routing process would take place on some
>> other box.
>
> Is there a reason you don't want to do the routing on the 7200?

     Yes, there is. The ADSLs are terminated to several VLANs
     (subnets) each of which belongs to some institute of this
     university. The routers for these subnets do already exist and I
     don't want to rebuild our routing topology. The ADSLs are just
     extensions for the subnets of the different institutes.

> You _can_ do what you intend on the 7200, but it is not (normally)
> what Cisco recommends, so you might get backed into a corner with
> regard to IOS...

     Do you mean that I should configure a bridge group to which I
     should add all the ATM subinterfaces and an dot1q-tagged fast
     ethernet subinterface all of which belong to same subnet (and
     therefore to same VLAN)? With this configuration I should be able
     to bind a group of ATM PVCs and an ethernet VLAN together? At the
     same time I would be able to keep the routing on some other
     router? I think this setup would kill the old 7206 (non-VXR with
     NPE-150...) I was planning to use.

     Cheers,

--
- Matti -