[nsp] Checking memory on Cisco 7600 with dual Sup2/MSFC2s

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon May 12 10:33:22 EDT 2003

> >When I spoke to my pet Cisco tech rep on Friday, he said that the only
> >difference between the 6500 and 7600 was paint on the chassis, and a
> >change of NEBS compliance.
>
> And the price? :-)

You pay a high price (in my opinion, an exorbitant price) for the OSMs.
It's really the OSMs that make the difference between a 6500 and a 7600
(also, it has to be a Sup2/MSFC2/PFC2 or better, as far as I know).

There is another, small difference also, visible on CDP. The 6500 says

Platform: cisco Catalyst 6000,  Capabilities: Router Switch IGMP

while the 7600 says

Platform: cisco 7600,  Capabilities: Router Switch IGMP

As far as I can see, this difference is purely cosmetic. Especially
so since we purchased two 6500s recently (explicitly ordered as 6500,
no OSM) - and these also claim to be 7600 on CDP.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no