[nsp] does it switch or route

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Tue May 20 16:38:07 EDT 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003, gab.seun jones.ewulomi wrote:

> H people,
>
> my apologies if this is somewhat a simple and trivial question.
>
> On my Lan we have end stations configured with a 10 and 69 network /8.
> On the default gateway(router) we have the 69.x.x.x ip adress on the
> interface and a 10.x.x.x secondary ip address on the same interface.
>
> My question is if the end stations on the the same lan e.g if a 69 address
> pc wants to talk to a 10 adress pc is this switched or routed by the router

I'm guessing your confused by the two terms..

Ok to get from 10/8 to 69/8 the packets need to go via a router which is a layer
3 device capable of forwarding in the IP layer (this IP forwarding/routing is
required as the devices are in different networks)

The end stations or even switches in the network are not capable of routing
packets between networks so the router is needed, all the end stations can do is
talk to other devices in the same network or push the packets at their default
gateway....

hth