[nsp] Booting an MSFC from sup-slot0:

Martin Cooper mjc at cooper.org.uk
Tue May 20 18:57:19 EDT 2003

Brian <signal at shreve.net> writes:

> I am working on a 6509 with dual Sup1A's and MSFC's. I am running
> into some problems. I am trying to have the MSFC boot the bootldr
> image from bootflash:, but have the regular IOS image come from
> sup-slot0:.

Couple of comments on from my experience with Hybrid dual Sups/MSFCs...

It appears that only one device (Active or Standby / Sup or MSFC) can
access a PCMCIA flash card over the EOB channel at a time, so in the
dual Sup configuration with the IOS being loaded from sup-slot0, one
of the MSFCs gets the card and ties it up while it downloads its own
IOS, while the other often times out waiting for access to the EOB
channel and loads the boot image from its local bootflash instead.

On the MSFC2 at least (not sure if you meant 'MSFC' generically or
specifically'), I believe it is possible to boot an IOS image from
the bootflash directly, without requiring a boot loader (which gets
round the problem of not enough memory for bootloader + IOS image).

Cheers,

Martin