[nsp] 12.2(14)S and interface counters

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Sun May 25 19:31:55 EDT 2003

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 09:57:08AM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 01:19:28AM -0400, jlewis at lewis.org wrote:
> > Opensource IOS...then Gert can fix it :)
>
> *grin* - actually I had already typed in an e-mail with that suggestion
> and then decided not to send it.  It might not be *that* easy... (but I'd
> certainly give it a try - my approach would be "rip out ALL counters and
> replace them by ONE set of 64bit counters, from which all others are
> derived" - that would make it pretty impossible that one counter is
> working and another one is hanging, no?).

	This has all been clearly outlined to Cisco in the past.
The need for working counters as people pay by the bit (megabit
that is) in most cases.  This means we need accurate ways to bill
our customers, which means we need to rely upon our vendors to get this
correct.  If they don't, obviously there has now been sufficent
time that one should indicate to your people that you will go with
someone who can both forward at linerate and count at linerate, none
of this sillyness where they break.  It's not that hard to set up
a few *nix machines, spray 250k packets and check the interface counters
to see if they say they moved 250k packets.

	Obviously the issue is a bit more complex in a few situations
where you enable features (red, wred, car, etc..) where you need to decide
if you count or not on the output side, but it's important to get it right.

	One should vote with your dollars as possible or start to require
a software-quality SLA from your router vendor.  Bugfixes that are TAC
supported within a few days of the bugfix completion.  We can't run
broken networks as a result of their problems, and have to issue credits
as appropriate.  They should also offer us assurances that the bugs will
be fixed and *supported* in some similar-style (yet reasonable) timeframes.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net