[nsp] 12.2(14)S and interface counters

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Sun May 25 21:59:35 EDT 2003

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 01:19:28AM -0400, jlewis at lewis.org wrote:
> > Opensource IOS...then Gert can fix it :)
>
> *grin* - actually I had already typed in an e-mail with that suggestion
> and then decided not to send it.  It might not be *that* easy... (but I'd
> certainly give it a try - my approach would be "rip out ALL counters and
> replace them by ONE set of 64bit counters, from which all others are
> derived" - that would make it pretty impossible that one counter is
> working and another one is hanging, no?).

I don't see that they'd lose much (aren't they already in court over some
asian company stealing IOS and hardware designs), and they'd certainly
gain lots of smart eyes looking at the code and squashing bugs.

We've had IOS snmp counter bugs on and off for years now...and some really
supid "help" from TAC when reporting some of them.