[nsp] Frame relay over DS3 config confuzion

Christopher J. Wolff chris at bblabs.com
Mon Nov 3 19:15:04 EST 2003

Worked great, thanks!

Regards,
Christopher J. Wolff, VP, CIO
Broadband Laboratories
http://www.bblabs.com

-----Original Message-----
From: james [mailto:hackerwacker at cybermesa.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 1:39 AM
To: Christopher J. Wolff
Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: RE: [nsp] Frame relay over DS3 config confuzion

Sorry, bad attempt at obscuring!

ATM side:

!
interface ATM2/0.1001 point-to-point
 description 1.544M FR circuit to Roswell
 ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.252
 pvc 3/33
 oam-pvc manage
  protocol ip 10.0.0.2 broadcast
  ubr 1700
  encapsulation aal5snap
 !

FR side:

!
interface Serial0
 description T1 FRS to Albuquerque
 ip address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.252
 encapsulation frame-relay
 frame-relay map ip 10.0.0.1 11 broadcast IETF
!

Check with your provider as to what to set for UBR/xBR
values. I forgot "oam-pvc manage" on last post. This will allow ATM to
send/receive OAM packets. They perform a number of "housekeeping"
functions and are useful in debugging ATM problems.

Does this problem happen in both directions ? FR router -> ATM router &
ATM router -> FR router. Does it happen with TCP, also ? I find
tcptraceroute very handy for this, you can set the packet size.
If you have a host that can sniff this conversation, this could be
quite useful. What hardware/IOS are you running & do you know
what hardware your provider is using to do the ATM -> FR translation ?
I am doing this with Qwest to their Cisco ATM switch and
it works well for us.