[nsp] Throughput of 100 Mbps

Vincent De Keyzer vincent at dekeyzer.net
Fri Nov 7 05:09:20 EST 2003

Thanks for the many diverse and creative answers. Some more info about the
issue, to answer the questions that have been asked:

The goal is to connect 3 LANs (in 3 differents areas of the city) to form a
triangle with speeds of 100 Mbps, 34 Mbps and 8 Mbps. If one of the 3 links
goes down, traffic should be rerouted over the other two links. A very basic
setup, as you can see.

The links have an Ethernet presentation for port price reasons; although the
34 Mbps link is an E3 (from a transmission point of view), there is an
E3-to-FE converter at both ends of it.

I was hoping to get away with (floating) static routes; but now I realise
that due to these converters, the line protocol might stay up on the FE
interface when the link is down (keepalives being answered by the
converter). So I might need OSPF - or even RIP.

Is OSPF/RIP supported by the 3550, Linux/FreeBSD box or other solutions that
have been suggested?

Vincent