[nsp] Suggestions on Versioning Control

Siraj 'Sid' Rakhada sid at mindless.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 11:32:06 EST 2003

--On Tuesday, November 18, 2003 10:56 -0500 Kenny Stoltz <kenny at qx.net>
wrote:

> Does anyone have any good suggestions on a system for versioning for
> config files? I don't particularly see anything that cisco can do to
> make it work, but i think maybe some custom perl scripts + cvs might
> work pretty well, but I wish I could have it track every change
> rather than daily changes. Any ideas?

Probably the most granularity you can get is by listening for the snmp
traps when you get out of configuration mode and pull down the config
when you see the trap, and push it into an RCS/CVS file.

I can't remember the snmp line you have to put in the config, and I'm
not even sure what the trap is, but if you experiment a little, it
shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

I've never actually used this in practice, but I have thought about it
- I think you may have issues if you do something like this:

conf t
CTRL-Z
[short space of time]
conf t
CTRL-Z

So you may need a timer/lock file to make sure you don't try to grab
the config from a router at the same time as another instance of your
script.

Best regards,

Sid