[nsp] Re: Per VLAN Stats on MSFC2 - Complaints from the Field

Anthony Cennami narziss at cdardn.net
Thu Nov 20 18:45:04 EST 2003

This too is a discussion argued a number of times previously.
Personally, I prefer the architecture where one port belongs to one
VLAN; this is obviously not appropriate in all situations, but it is in
mine.

Nothing in this world is free, and the bandwidth that a customer uses
across my network is not either, regardless if it's in between their own
two servers.  In instances where a customer has multiple machines which
require communication between one another, it is held at the customers
discretion to purchase a private switch and second NIC(s), so our
billing system remains ignorant, or get billed for the traffic.

If you are someone who enjoys living dangerously, there are also a
variety of Flow based accounting systems and Probes which would allow
you to bill based on the flow/IP accounting, rather than SNMP on your
access devices.  This can be done either through your choice Layer 3
device or a third-party promiscuous probe.

I'm sure that everybody here has their own idea on best how to do this,
and what is 'right' for them; my argument is only that falsifying data
through propagation from multi layer switching does not at all seem to
be the best way.