[nsp] SVI/VLAN Aggregation; TCAM ACL exhaustion on c3550-24

Anthony Cennami narziss at cdardn.net
Wed Oct 8 14:25:23 EDT 2003

Hello,

I'm currently looking at solutions to redesign a server farm to utilize
individual VLANS for each server, for a variety of reasons (billing,
ip/security, broadcast traffic management)

At the moment I have some 3550-24-EMI's supporting the config, but am
running into TCAM resource limitations.

The end goal here is to home ~500-600 servers to a redundant agg switch
that will accomodate customers SVI/IP allocations (currently being
allocated via 'secondary' bindings)  Servers are homed to a variety of
basic L2 switches, all cisco - trunked to 3550-24's (not T's, though
I've been examining that option) and then routed to core 6500 series.

There are no ACL's built, so just standard L2->L3 TCAM population
exists; servers have anywhere from 5(/29) to 253(/24) IP's.

If anybody has worked in a similar environment and has suggestions as to
possible solutions, or issues to look for (and avoid) I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Anthony