[nsp] hspr prob - can't ping active address

Dale.Francis at barclayscapital.com Dale.Francis at barclayscapital.com
Mon Oct 13 05:04:12 EDT 2003

Seen this before on platforms other than 6500 such as 3600 and hit the
following bug

CSCdx10170 -HSRP not responding to arp requests, the way I got around this
and someone has mentioned was by clearing ARP entries however this is not a
long term fix by any means.

CSCdx10170 Bug text:

Symptoms: A router may stop replying to Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)
requests.

Conditions: This symptom is observed on a Cisco router that is used as the
active Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP) router for certain HSRP groups.
The
router may stop replying to ARP requests that are sent to the IP address of
the
HSRP. This symptom occurs only if HSRP is configured on more than one
interface.

Workaround: Configure the no standby redirects global
configuration command on the HSRP router, and then remove and re-add the
standby <group> ip command.

This bug also rings true CSCds88317 - hsrp standby address becomes
unreachable after few hours - arp

AD