[nsp] Bandwidth Limit

Vincent De Keyzer vincent at dekeyzer.net
Thu Oct 23 03:36:26 EDT 2003

Hi,

I recently had a request from a customer who wanted his 3 Mbps Internet
bandwidth to be freely shared between VPN and non-VPN traffic, but in
case of congestion the VPN should be limited to 2 Mbps and the rest to 1
Mbps. VPN traffic is all coming from one IP of his public LAN range.

It seems that the following config did the trick on a 2500 with 8MB of
RAM running 12.1(20):

 access-list 181 permit ip host <ip of VPN box> any

 access-list 182 deny   ip host <ip of VPN box> any
 access-list 182 permit ip <network range/mask> any

 (...)

 class-map Non-VPN
   match access-group 182
 class-map VPN
   match access-group 181

 (...)

 policy-map ShareBW
   class VPN
    bandwidth percent 67
   class Non-VPN
    bandwidth percent 33

 (...)

 interface Multilink1
  service-policy output ShareBW

... and something symmetrical on the access router.

The bandwith is limited by hardware to 2 x 1.5 Mbps.

I'm not very proud of that config (especially the 33 / 67 part which I
had to use because it wouldn't work by specifying absolute bandwidths),
but it seems to work.

You can check how the service-policy is doing with the command

 sh policy-map ShareBW

Hope this helps

Regards,

Vincent