[nsp] tcp small servers not small enough

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Oct 28 01:53:03 EST 2003

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 08:58:13PM -0500, Ed Ravin wrote:
> When I turn on "service tcp-small-servers" on my 7200 box with 12.2(17a),
> these new ports appear:
>
>   7/tcp    open  echo
>   9/tcp    open  discard
>   13/tcp   open  daytime
>   19/tcp   open  chargen
>
> I only want echo and daytime to be available.  Is there any way, other
> than ACLs on each interface, to disable them separately?  I didn't see
> anything in the command-line help for "service tcp-small-servers", which
> appears to have no tunable settings other than the maximum number of
> servers.

	If you run 12.2(18)S1 on your 7200, you could use the control-plane
QoS/rate-limit features in that  release to lock down packets directed
to the router so you only provide echo and daytime.

	I suggest using NTP or SNTP instead of daytime whenever possible,
most softawre supports it these days.  You can also provide ntp
via broadcast/multicast to your lans as well.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net