[nsp] Sub interfaces Question

John F. Chavez jchavez at theriver.com
Tue Oct 28 14:53:19 EST 2003

Hello we are acquiring another companies Frame Relay clients.  We setup our
frame clients on point-to-point sub interfaces of the main frame-relay
interface.  The company we are acquiring uses frame-relay maps and we are
trying to make this move as transparent to the customers as possible.

My question is; Can we setup frame relay maps on a multipoint sub interface?

Example:
Main Interface with other point-to-point subs configured.
interface Serial4/4:0
 no ip address
 encapsulation frame-relay IETF
 ip route-cache policy
 no fair-queue
 frame-relay lmi-type ansi

New Sub with frame-relay map configured:
interface Serial4/4:0.25 multipoint
 ip address 192.168.253.1 255.255.255.0
 frame-relay map ip 192.168.253.20 60
 frame-relay map ip 192.168.253.25 65

Notice the link addresses are setup on the same /24 address space with the
gateway address or ISP end of the link set to
192.168.253.1.

Has anyone tried this before or does anyone know if this is possible?  Any
help is appreciated.

Johnny F. Chavez               | Network Operations Manager, AZ
mailto:jchavez at theriver.com    | The River Internet Access Co.
http://www.theriver.com/       | 520-745-1009 Ext. 101