[nsp] 7206vxr pps & mbit/s limits

Cisco List CiscoList at go180.net
Tue Oct 28 19:09:30 EST 2003

Jon, I don't have an NPE 300 handy to test but the performance should be
nearly the same as the NSE-1 that I tested recently.  As another poster
mentioned, the NSE-1 is essentially a NPE-300 with acceleration for
certain edge features and stuff like ACLs.

This test was part of some basic baseline performance testing we were
doing and was done using a Spirent Smartbits 6000.  The test was run
with the Smartbits connecting via GigE to a Gig PA on the 7200 and then
back out of the 7200 on another Gig PA into another port on the
Smartbits.  The test was run using straight IP with a single source and
destination IP/MAC with no routing protocols etc. running.  No ACLs were
in place either but CEF was turned on. This was a uni-directional test
so the stream was only going in one port on the router and back out
another port.  Pretty basic test so it should run reasonably well.  As
you can see we got a little better than 110mb with 64 byte packets.  We
never hit line rate (which we didn't expect anyway) and maxed out at
380mb with 1024 byte packets.  Interestingly enough the throughput
dropped from there down to 360mb.  In past testing on various routers
and switches we'll usually see throughput increase as packet size goes
up which is what we would normally expect.

-------------------
					Throughput Test
			Test duration (sec): 60
Number of pairs:	1
			Minimum frame size (byte): 64
Initial rate (%):	100.00
			Maximum frame size (byte): 1518		Maximum
rate (%):	100.00
			Step frame size (byte):	Custom
Resolution rate (%):	1.00
** Measured on one receiving card only				Mode:
Uni-directional
Frame Size	Passed Rate(%)	(pks/sec)	Total

64		11.76			175070	175070

128		20.50			173130	173130

256		33.74			152812	152812

512		37.46			88028		88028