[nsp] RBE aggregation issues

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Thu Oct 30 13:08:25 EST 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:00:27AM -0800, Bruce Robertson wrote:
> Hang in there with the RBE; it's really the way to go.  Here are some things
> you might want to try:
>
> Upgrade to IOS 12.2(19a).  This may solve some bugs, etc.

I've been reluctant to move beyond 12.1 since later versions have some
negative effects on PPP T1 links.  I may have to bite that bullet,
though, especially if there is some feedback that there are indeed
RBE bug fixes.

> Add this to your configuration to avoid the problem with losing DHCP
> on reboots.  This will save your DHCP database every 60 seconds, and the
> router will reload it on reboot.  You can adjust the period if you want it
> more or less often than 60 seconds.
>
> ip ftp username cisco
> ip ftp password <some-password>
> ip dhcp database ftp://x.x.x.x/dhcp.leases write-delay 60

Yep, am using that (I mentioned it in my original note but I imagine
it was easily missed).  As I mentioned, it doesn't seem to cache
every assignment.  Perhaps a later version of IOS helps that too.

(It's a little annoying that on the rare event of an FTP failure,
the password is plainly logged in syslog..)

Thanks,
-mm-