[nsp] HSRP failing under high CPU load

atticus at satanic.org atticus at satanic.org
Fri Oct 31 12:40:59 EST 2003

> Has anyone else seen HSRP fail (lower priorority router preemts and goes
> active while a higher priority router is still active) when the low
> priorority router is under particularly heavy CPU load (perhaps it's
> missing or just not processing hellos)?

I'm guessing by the AMD FE, this is a 2600 series. If so, check to see if
your release supports SPD, as I believe HSRP hellos will qualify for
extended headroom. May still not make the difference, in which case
bumping timers would probably be the only answer. (One can only hope that
missing the HSRP hellos would also qualify for dropping igp hellos...)