[nsp] Hardware WCCP on 6500

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Thu Sep 18 09:55:53 EDT 2003

Hi,

its been a while since i was involved with WCCP but here are the answers
you're after.

WCCP will be the same regardless of whether the switch is running Native or
Hybrid.
it will also be the same for Sup2 & Sup720.
for simplicity in the reply, i won't go into the permutations of Sup1.

it "depends" on the mode of WCCP.  for WCCPv2:

if its XOR-based hashing and GRE-based tunnelling to the cache, then WCCP
will be performed entirely in software on the MSFC and performance will be
limited to what the MSFC is capable of.
note that non-intercepted traffic will remain in CEF in hardware as there
will be entries programmed into the TCAMs to punt traffic elegible for
interception to the MSFC using a layer-4 match.

if its XOR-based hashing and Layer-2-rewrite to the cache, then WCCP will
be performed entirely in software on the MSFC and performance will be
limited to what the MSFC is capable of.
note that non-intercepted traffic will remain in CEF in hardware as there
will be entries programmed into the TCAMs to punt traffic elegible for
interception to the MSFC using a layer-4 match.

if its HashMask-based hashing and GRE-based tunnelling to the cache, then
WCCP will be performed entirely in software on the MSFC and performance
will be limited to what the MSFC is capable of.
note that non-intercepted traffic will remain in CEF in hardware as there
will be entries programmed into the TCAMs to punt traffic elegible for
interception to the MSFC using a layer-4 match.

if its HashMask-based hashing and Layer-2-rewrite to the cache, then WCCP
will be performed entirely in hardware on the PFC with no impact on
performance.

thus, in summary: if your cache can do "Hash Mask" + "L2 Rewrite" then it
can scale as high as you wish.
if your caching vendor doesn't support this, ask them why they have an
incomplete implementation of WCCP.
the specification is open, so there is no reason why they cannot support
that mode.

note also that 12.1(8b)E14 is relatively old; its been quite a while since
i was involved with WCCP but there were some critical bugs that got fixed
around that time.  a later 12.1E would be recommended.

hope this helps.

cheers,

lincoln.