[nsp] 3550 CPU OVERLOAD 80%

Jim Devane jim at powerpulse.cc
Fri Sep 26 21:03:43 EDT 2003

Hello All,

I started mysteriously receiving these CPU Overload messages a few days
ago. There is no pattern to them and they clear themselves ( the switch
will fall back to 20% CPU or even 10%) but I am getting spikes of 85% or
so.

I captured a sh proc cpu when an alarm came in and I was able to see
what the CPU was doing but I don't uynderstand what some of these
processes are. I am in need of a steer toward info or an outright
explanation of these few things and if they are anything to worry about.
In general I am not too worried since the switch does not stay at a high
CPU cycle level, but I would like to learn about what is causing it to
get so high.

The sh proc cpu offenders were:
 SNMP Engine 4 - 7 % I have a good idea about this but not sure if 4-7
is too high or not.

IP SNMP 3 - 5 % Not sure of the difference of SNMP Engine and IP SNMP

Pool Manager 2 - 3 % Not really sure about this one.

VUR_MGR bg proc 3 - 4 % No idea

And of course IP Input was about 9 - 11 % not sure if that seems high or
not. I think the IP Input is probably OK.

Anyway, if there are any steers towards resources, CCO links, or
ideas/suggestions/ explanations I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim