[nsp] weird gre tunnel...

Haesu haesu at towardex.com
Sat Sep 27 16:09:22 EDT 2003

Hi,

I got a 7500 running IOS 12.0.25S1..

It has GRE tunnel with some routes pointed to it..

Before I installed IOS 12.0.25S1 (it had non-serviceprovider version before),
whenever I traceroute to certain destination going thru the GRE tunnel, the router
at the other end of the tunnel always shows up in traceroute, which is normal.

For example:
1. my-7500-router
2. remote-router-on-the-other-end-of-the-tunnel
3. some-router
4. destination-host

After I installed 12.0.25S1 on that 7500, now I am seeing somewhat weird problem..
The hop 2, which is the remote router on the other end of the GRE tunnel no longer
shows up in traceroute... It now looks like this:
1. my-7500-router
2. some-router
3. destination-host

Any idea what is happening with the way GRE tunnels are behaving under 12.0.25S1?
Is this a bug with the version I have or is there a special setting I have to use?
The hop right after the tunnel being skipped in traceroute or other layer3 queries
quite bothers me..

Thanks,
-hc

--
Haesu C.
TowardEX Technologies, Inc.
http://www.towardex.com | haesu at towardex.com
Cell: (978)394-2867     | Office: (978)263-3399 Ext. 174
Fax: (978)263-0033      | POC: HAESU-ARIN